Life is too precious to waste. I was knocked for a loop last week and it seems that all I’ve been doing is marching in place. I think I’m finally back on track again. For a while, I couldn’t even think about Thanksgiving.

My 11 year old cat, Hemingway, went had a diabetic seizure last Sunday. For some reason, I couldn’t see it for what it was. I panicked. I rushed around the house, trying to get things together so that I could take him to the emergency clinic. Of course, when you are in a hurry, it seems that everything is preventing you from reaching your goal. I took the wrong turn, headed for the vet instead of the clinic. Once I got myself turned around, I hit every single traffic light along the way, then got stuck waiting for the Fremont Bridge to come back down.

All I could think of at that bridge was that I wasn’t ready for Hemingway to go yet, despite all the times that I’ve sworn at him for his picky eating habits and lousy potty manners. It just wasn’t time. And Martin wasn’t home to say goodbye.

It was then that I realized that it was a diabetic seizure. Tears streaking down my face thinking that I’ve killed Hemingway for sure because I didn’t give him Karo Syrup before leaving the house and now he’s going to die before the bridge comes back down.

Thankfully, the nice folks at the emergency clinic rushed him in and gave hime glucose IV right away (I called ahead so they were ready). It’s amazing how calming the act of filling out paperwork can be. The mundane acts during a crisis can totally focus you on something other than the crisis. I know I’m being completely redundant but I don’t have any other way of explaining it.

Hemingway is fine now. A little mad at me for making him go through all of that last week — all because he didn’t like the new cat food. (He was boycotting the new food and the regular insulin injections caused his blood glucose levels to drop.) To add insult to injury, the vets made him keep an IV catheter in his front leg for 48 hours, just in case, then followed by a bandage for another 24 hours. Not a happy camper.

I don’t care. I’m just happy that he’s still here and being a pain in the neck that he always is.

Finished Objects

Mom's Ribbles Socks

Finished a pair of modified ribbles socks (from Socks, Socks, Socks ) for Mom. I stopped the pattern on the top of the foot because I worried about the cables feeling like knots under the shoe. I did 1×1 ribbing instead along the top of the foot. I think it turned out pretty nice. I made the socks from Brown Sheep washable wool.

I sort of finished one set of weaving class projects — 2 table mats in different patterns but the same warp. I just need to finish twisting the fringe.

2 Christmas presents down. I don’t know how may more to go!