Multnomah!

Multnomah1

Finally!

Months after I finished Multnomah, I finally wore it for the first time today.

Why? I had it draped on the back of the couch after blocking. Stormy immediately commandeered it as her couch “bed.”

Last month, I finally shooed her off the shawl, washed and re-blocked it…that was when I had found two snags/broken thread in the bound off edge.

It took me until this weekend to find the leftover yarn, un-pick back to the last broken thread, and re-knit the edge.

Spring Cleaning #7

victoria-shawlProject #6: The Victoria Shawl from Victorian Lace Today

I’m embarrassed to say that I think this one languished only because I forgot about it. I pulled it out to as a trip project. On return, it got put away. Out of sight, out of mind.

I don’t remember the name nor the colorway of the yarn, but it is a 2-ply hand painted lace that I bought from Full Thread Ahead in Los Altos.

Decision: Back in the queue. It’s a good travel project. (Gee, where have I heard that from?) There are lots of short trips and cruise outs coming up this summer.

Spring Cleaning #6

clapotisProject #5: This should look familiar — the ubiquitous Clapotis.

I had resisted when this was all the rage.  I had continued to resist even after seeing a few first hand.  It’s nice, but I just wasn’t interested.

However, once I saw Penny’s Clapotis, I fell in love.  The drape of the Koigu in this pattern is wonderful, and the subtle variation played well. I wanted one, 4 years after the fact.

But it sits unfinished. Why? It’s boring. I can’t believe how boring this project is.  Even the occasional drop lost its appeal after the nth one of these. On top of that, I lost track at one point and now I’m slightly off in the pattern.  It’s not visibly noticeable, but I know it’s there and it bugs me.  But not enough to rip back to find it. I just need to adjust it somewhere to get it back on track.

Decision: Back into the queue.  I’m about 60% finished, so a week or so of knitting should get this finished and off the needles.  Perhaps I can finish it in time for the 5th anniversary of the pattern.

Faroese Styled Shawl

faroese-shawl

Specs:

  • My own design: from the neck down; finished off with 3 st i-cord bound off/edging all the way around
  • Yarn: Noro Silk Garden Sock, 1+ skein each of White/Natural (S269, Lot A) and Reds (S84, Lot A)
  • Needles: 3.00 mm
  • Back Length: 15″

I had originally aimed for about 20″ depth, but I was so darned bored with this, that I opted to keep it short.  And it works.  At the arms, the shawl ends right at my elbows, which is perfect for wearing around the house — nothing to drag into whatever I’m working on.

Lessons learned?  My design was based on measurements right at the neck.  Instead, I should have allowed for the fact that shawls, like sweaters, generally sit about an inch or two (or three) off of the back of the neck.  So, the shoulder shaping is too far back, which compounded the problem of minor slippage.

In addition, I should have stopped the shoulder shaping about 1-2″ shorter.  As it is now, I have a bit of a David Byrne thing going on.

All in all, I’m happy with the results for a first attempt at a faroese shawl. I definitely would do this again. I don’t think it would have been quite so onerous if I didn’t have to drag 2 balls of yarn around all the time. As it was, I had limited mobility with this project.