Earbud Cozy

earbudsI know. It sounds silly. It is silly. Especially if you consider that I’m using Koigu with size 1 needles. But really, I’ve been thinking about this almost since the first day I got these bluetooth earbuds. I tend to “glow” during these warmer days, the silicone flat cord sticks to the back of my neck and get stuck. Sometimes sticky enough that one of the earbuds pull out when I turn my head too quickly. Hence the cozy.

Knitted 5 stitch i-cord around the flat cord with leftover Koigu on #1 needles.

Bike Mitts

As I’ve mentioned before, I have been riding my bicycle for my work commute. I don’t use bike gloves since the ones I have used before didn’t really do much in terms of keeping my hands warm. They were more for padding than anything else. But that was over 10 years ago. I don’t know how things have changed since then.

BikeMittHowever, I have been using my handspun fingerless gloves. They work well unless it is really cold or windy. Sometime in December, I lost them. I have no idea where they are. I guess I should check lost and found at work.

In the meantime, the other pair that I had made had also gone MIA. I have absolutely no idea how I could have lost 2 pairs of fingerless mitts when I need them the most.

For now, I am wearing a pair of wind block fleece gloves. They are actually working quite well, but there are times when it’s too mild for them. Besides, I miss my fingertips. I use my fingertips to adjust zippers, hats/ear warmers, earbuds and control my phone (volume and playback). To do that with the fleece gloves, I have to pull over to the side, take the glove off, do what needs to be done, and pull it back on before continuing on my merry way. The gloves are just too bulky.

BikeMittNotesSo, I decided to knit another pair for bicycling. These will be dedicated biking mitts so I took a hard look at what worked well and what could be improved with the pair I lost. Then I winged the rest, designing as I went.

This time around, I didn’t assume that I will remember from one mitt to the other and took copious notes. Not only that, I took notes on something other than the back of an envelope that might accidentally be tossed into the recycling bin.

Wish me luck on the second mitt!

Hippo Face

LittleHippos

This sweater was finished back in early July but sat around waiting for me to sew on the buttons. Yeah. It’s been that crazy around here.

I adapted the Little Hearts baby sweater with my own chart of little red hippo faces *. Why? This is for the baby of my teammate who named our work project RedHyppo (internal acryonym variant) so I thought it would be appropriate to have a red hippo theme baby item. (Partial red hippo is also in progress — still needs stuffing.)

Project finally “launched” last week, hence the frenzy of blog posts and FOs around here. But we are knee deep in the mop up so things here might slow again.

LittleHipposDetail

* Hippo face chart is available on my Ravelry project page for this sweater.

Baby Surprise Jacket!

BSJ

Don’t you just love those stripes???? The stripes were in the dyed into the fiber. All I did was split it in half lengthwise and spun the yarn as a 2 ply. You can see the yarn in progress in my previous post, Miracle Fabric. Unfortunately, I ran out of yarn about one color repeat short. I had to finish it off with some Cascade 220 Superwash. It’s slightly denser than my handspun but it worked. Now, I just need to add buttons.

This was such a quick and fun knit. Much more fun than the first time around. Why? Minimal ends to weave in. Unfortunately, I didn’t take notes the first time around either. I zipped along on the sweater before I realized that I forgot to increase for the cuff fullness. Riiiiip.

To ensure I don’t make this mistake again, I decided to write out line by line instructions for myself. After a bit, I wanted stitch counts. So, I stopped once again and built a spreadsheet that calculated my line by line and my ending stitch count by row. Yes, I’m a geek. Anyway, I think it took me longer to build the spreadsheet than it did for me to knit the darn thing. It helped that I took the train into the city to have a tea and chat session with Penny.

Stats:

  • Yarn: Handspun and Cascade 220
  • Needles: US #4 (3.5 mm) 32″ or 40″ circulars; these were perfect length to work all the way around with enough room to leave the side stitches on the needle while working the center back panel

A few knitting notes on this BSJ (so I don’t lose my notes and have to start all over again next time!):

  • I used double decrease around a center knit stitch so the decreases match the increases.
  • I used a 2 stitch I-Cord all around.
  • I made 3 – 2 stitch buttonhole in the I-Cord edge. (3-2-8-2-8-2)
  • At the bottom corners, I added a single (unattached) I-Cord stitch before and after the centered/corner stitch to make it a clean turn.
  • At the neck corners, I added 2 (unattached) I-Cord stitch to ease the corner.
  • I grafted the end of the I-Cord to the 2 cast on stitches at the beginning.