I won a 6 oz. package of Border Leceister/Mohair blend roving from Toots Le Blanc a couple of years ago at Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat. First thing Kathleen asked me was, “What the heck are you going to do with that?”
You see, Kathleen knows that I’m a wimp when it comes to wool. It’s next-to-skin softness or nothing at all. And my standard for next-to-skin softness is pretty high. In fact, Kathleen thinks that I’m a wuss. So, when she saw me with a package of long wool, she snickered.
But what she doesn’t know is that I’ve been mentally planning a punch rug, made with handspun wool. I have some Lincoln X Corriedale rovings in a variety of natural colors all ready to go. The Border Leceister will be a nice addition to the mix.
I have the basic shape and dimensions — an irregular pentagon (2 sets of 2 equal sides and angles, with one set of right angles) to fit in front of the double french doors up at the cottage, but I don’t have a design as of yet. I want it to be of some sort of Native American/Puget Sound theme. There will be some subtle marking to note the 4 compass points. But that’s as far as I’ve got in terms of design.
Today marks the half way point for le Tour, and I finished plying the Targhee/Clun Forest today.
Yardage: 1,342, before wet finishing Weight: 15 oz. Plies: 3 WPI: 16-20, before wet finishing; about 12-14 wpi after wet finishing
The yarn poofed up nicely after a nice soak. It’s about a DK weight yarn. I’m waiting for it to dry before re-skeining to find out exactly how much yarn I have. I think there is enough yardage for a nice lofty sweater, although a side trip to a dye bath might be in order.
Today is the first day of the high mountain rides, and I feel like I’ve achieved that 14.3 km climb up the 6.8% grade.
I finally finished spinning the Targhee/Clun Forest singles. It took 6 days to spin a pound, but it’s finally done. I spun a bit on the Rest Day as well. I can now finally move on to the plying.
I started with the Judith Kate by Will Taylor, but the weight of the bobbins (these jumbo tigerwood bobbins are heavy!) and the angle, it was just too much grab for my softly spun singles. I kept breaking one of the singles. (Okay, it actually was drifting apart.) So I moved them off onto the kate that came with the Schacht. All 3 large bobbins will only fit if they are offset in the kate. It wouldn’t work well if these bobbins were completely full though, because there’s a bit of an overlap.
Hopefully, a couple of days of plying and I can move on to the next fiber!
Still plugging along. Not much to show, although I did change to a new bobbin. Not because the bobbin is full, but I want to spread the pound of fiber across at least 3 bobbins, since the end result will be a 3-ply yarn.
Sorry if your feeds are all messed up. I messed up the Stage numbering and went back to edit.
The next few posts are going to be slow slogs and likely no pictures. Why? The picture on the right should give you an idea…
A full pound of a 60/40 Targhee/Clun Forest blend that Kathleen brought me in April. And some of you will recognize that it’s been blended and prepared by Morro Fleece Works, my favorite processor.
My plan is to spin this woolen for a 3 ply fingering weight yarn. The final intent is for a California weight sweater. I will augment this with the red Mountain Colors Targhee, purchased at CNCH. The red will be the accent color in another yoked sweater.
Hopefully, the spinning for this won’t take too long since I’m using modified long draw to keep it as lofty as possible. (This should be pretty easy to do with the pin drafted roving.) The singles will be lightly spun with a medium/medium-firm ply. The final yarn (and sweater) should be light and warm with a really soft hand.
The single is about 32-36 wpi and the 3-ply will be about fingering weight.